Friday, June 12, 2009

Izzy Files

Unlike many children who seem to attach themselves to one preferred item such as a toy or blanket, Izzy had never really favored any one item for more than a few days before moving on to something else. Ever since having Luke, however, she has become quite attached to one modest little doll she lovingly calls "my baby." She wants to take her baby everywhere we go and always makes sure she is well taken care of. I've already had to babysit my pseudo grandchild and have to frequently swaddle her for Izzy. Obviously she's mimicking me taking care of Luke and likely working through the mixed feelings she must have about all the changes his birth has brought to her life. She's been sick all this week and wanted much more of my attention than I can give. Sean and I are trying to stay patient with her and some of the very recent attention seeking behaviors she's been displaying but it has been hard, especially since I have also been quite ill. It's hard to say if her recent behaviors are a result of simply being a 3 year old, having a new sibling, or because she is sick--likely a combination of the three. She's still a wonderfully behaved little girl, but not the perfect angel we're accustomed to. Most of the parents I know all agree that 3 was the hardest year for them (aside from some of the teen years). I've been having many conversations with her about what jealousy is and she amazes me with her insight and understanding. She admits she's jealous when I feed Luke and that she doesn't like that I have to feed him so often. Despite this, she never says anything bad about her brother and continues to dote on him all the time. She's such a spectacular little girl. I hope Luke will some day realize how lucky he is to have her as his big sister.

The other day, Izzy propped herself in the recliner, put the boppy on her lap and pretended to nurse her doll. It was the first time she had pretended to nurse her baby which surprised me since she watches me feed Luke all the time. It is usually around this time that she suddenly needs her mommy to do things for her and she wants to lay or crawl on me. It can be so frustrating at times because it interferes with the whole bonding experience. I'm also worried she might accidentally fall on Luke with all her bustling about. Yet I know how difficult it must be for her, especially given how often and long Luke likes to eat.
Last Christmas, Izzy's grandparents sent her the Vtech PC Pal. She wasn't too interested in it back then as the controls seemed far to difficult for her. She recently has started playing with it more and more and we've been amazed at how quickly she has learned to play the games. She gets very focused and puts her whole body into it. Earlier in the week she was quick to grow frustrated with her limited skills, but recently, she has become more persistent and insistent on figuring it out herself.
Last week, Izzy moved her chairs together and put some pillows around it. She called me into her room and proudly declared she had built her baby a crib to sleep in. I dare not disassemble it as her baby naps there almost every day now. She even has me swaddle her baby tight and she makes sure to cover the baby up with a "warm and cozy" blanket. Snug as a bug in a rug as she says.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Please tell me three gets easier! Vivi has yet to turn 3 and she is tough already. However, Izzy is just precious and you are my hero for having 2 children! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete